From December 6 through 9, Miami Beach, Florida, will host the 11th edition of Art Basel, the most prestigious art show in the Americas. More than 260 leading galleries from North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa will take part, showcasing works by more than 2,000 artists of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Did you know that although Miami Beach is several miles away, North Miami’s own Museum of Contemporary Art (MoCA), plays a central role in this international art fair? Recognize this neon tree that stands across the street from our clubhouse? It was an art installation for last year’s Art Basel that has now been made permanent. That’s right, and this year MoCA played host to the annual Vanity Fair (magazine) kick-off party on December 4th, and in attendance was fashion designer (and proud MoCA supporter) Stella McCartney (Paul McCartney’s daughter). Throughout the rest of the week, MoCA will host and coordinate visits to many of the Art Basel venues throughout Miami.
In the heart of downtown North Miami, the Museum of Contemporary Art (MoCA) is a center for innovative arts and communications programs educating more than 20,000 children, teens and adults each year. If you are a North Miami resident or business owner, YOU can be a part of the excitement all year round for FREE: http://mocanomi.org/membership/northmiami/
As a North Miami resident or business owner, you are entitled to a complimentary Family membership to MoCA which includes:
- Complimentary Admission to the museum for up to four (4) people
- Priority notice and invitations to MoCA exhibition openings and receptions
- Weekly MoCA by Moonlight programming every Wednesday night featuring programming like Contemporary Art Boot Camp lectures, 5 Minutes of Fame artists forums, and Arts for All (hands-on art classes for adults)
- 10% discount off items in the MoCA Shop
- Discounts and scholarships available for Creative Arts Summer Camp all summer long
- Discounts on youth, teen and adult classes at the MoCA Art Institute
Even if you are not a North Miami resident or business owner, you can still check out the Museum for free on the last Friday of each month. The Jazz at MoCA series features free outdoor concerts (rain or shine) the last Friday of each month at 8 pm and the MoCAgalleries are open by donation from 7-10 pm. Tito Puente Jr. and His Latin Jazz Ensemble will be featured on December 28, 2012.